An English-Irish dictionary:intended for the use of students of the Irish language .. (1855)

fullscreen
Author: Foley, Daniel, 1815-1874
Subject: English language -- Irish; Irish language -- English
Publisher: Dublin : W. Curry and company
Call number: srlf_ucla:LAGE-1212011
Digitizing sponsor: MSN
Book contributor: University of California Libraries
Collection: cdl; americana

Average Rating: 4.33 out of 5 stars4.33 out of 5 stars4.33 out of 5 stars4.33 out of 5 stars4.33 out of 5 stars

Reviewer: KyleeLangston8717 - 3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars - January 2, 2014
Subject: thanks a lot
thanks

Reviewer: Blackeyed Pea - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - June 7, 2007
Subject: FOCLÓIR DHÓNAL UÍ FHOGHLUDHA
I bought my copy at a book sale run by the University of Queensland. I understand there's a copy of it in their library too as well as one at the Gaelic Club's library in Sydney.

I love the challenges of old text in this book, preferring the old script to the new.

My understanding is that this book was brought to Australia by the Conradh na Gaeilge who were very active in Australia last century, the largest groups being in Melbourne and Sydney.

Reviewer: Criostóir - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - March 12, 2007
I am no kind of expert on the excellence or otherwise of dictionaries, but the Foley English-Irish Dictionary is special for me because I found my copy in a second-hand bookstore in a country town in Victoria, Australia, about 50 miles from the big city of Melbourne. It was tossed in with a variety of old German reference books and it isn't in as good a condition as the on-line original appears to be. I got it for a couple of dollars and I often dip into it for recreational reading, so I'm delighted that its on-line as it will help me to maintain my copy. I'd love to know how it got to where I found it, chances are there would be a good story attaching to it, but I guess I'll never know.

N'fheadar an bhfuil go leor cóipeanna le fáil nó an fiú é a thabhairt go dtí saineolaí chun go gcuireadh sé a mheas air?

Criostóir Ó Maonaigh

Selected metadata

Copyright-evidence-operator: alyson-wieczorek
Copyright-region: US
Copyright-evidence: Evidence reported by alyson-wieczorek for item englishirishdict00foleiala on February 16, 2007: no visible notice of copyright; stated date is 1855.
Copyright-evidence-date: 20070216214231
Scanningcenter: iala
Mediatype: texts
Collection-library: srlf_ucla